So some people want to know how adjustment is. It's not so bad, really. There are moments where I miss the one's close to my heart back home - but none of the feelings come out of my interactions with the locals. In fact, it's my contact with the locals which cheers me up.
Now that's not saying that life in China is perfect - or that people don't have issues. But there is a general feeling, where I live, that is positive about us - and a result, they really try to help us along as we bumble about like idiots.
For example, I lost my keys to the apartment. Nervously, I approached the guards to my complex, knowing that they had access to the spare keys. How was I to tell them? At that point in time I only knew the verbs "to be", "to want" and "to have" (also in negative forms) - but I didn't know the word for "keys". I approached one guard, who came out right away, thinking that I wanted access to the school. Smiling nervously, I said "Wo bu you wo de" and then I pointed at his keys. Basically I was saying, "I do not have my..." and point at his keys. The man understood right away, marched in and got me my spare keys. What a guy!
Another time, I was visiting a friend for the first time and took the bus. I tried to tell them the name to the stop - and nobody could comprehend what I was saying. The man who sells the tickets on the bus CANVASSED THE ENTIRE BUS. Six people around me got into small arguments as to what station I really wanted. I still hadn't paid my fare yet - and the ticket man wouldn't let me pay until it my destination came into sight (which I didn't think I would recognize - which was another problem). In desperation I said the name of the general area I wanted to go to. After another 10 minutes of deliberation the 6 people decided that "Ming de..." was my best bet, I was shooed off the bus like a little chicken. They had guessed right. It was the desired stop!
At a store, while buying a kid his b-day present, I found the ball I wanted but, considering that wrapping paper is scarce, I decided to put the ball in a small bag that is like a backpack. They had one of those bags on display, holding a ball already. With the ball I picked in my hand, I went up to a sales lady who had begun to attend on me most attentively (they have like store section people who are super attentive to white people especially) - and said, "Ni you..." and tugged on the bag on display. I basically said, "You have...?" She got me a bag in 10 seconds. Totally amazing. That same day, on the second floor of the store, an attendant went out of her way to snag me a basket which I didn't think I would need earlier - but obviously needed as I spent more time than expected at the store! She scolded me in rapid Chinese, I think for carrying too much!
So, in all, even if I can't take care of myself - people will, in extreme situations (or perhaps, not so extreme), for varying reasons, help you out. Sometimes it's just to stand by a white person, or talk to one - or to practice their English. Underneath their gruff exterior, though, like most Hamiltonians, they really mean well. And that is a comforting thought.
The Shadow of the Wind ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon
10 years ago

1 comment:
hey hey, good to see you updating regularly! I love this post! It sounds like you are getting quite independent at making your way around...good for you ;)
Post a Comment