Friday, February 6, 2009

Vacation Epic: Part 3 - Settling In Bali

Part 1 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3


"How are you feeling?"

That was the regular question asked of me the entire weekend vacation in Bali. And no wonder, I looked like death on some days - although, as the days passed - I got to feeling better. I even walked about a bit. I looked at the KFC, McDees (but didn't go in) - and visited Dunkin' Donuts. It was the first donut I had tasted in 3 months (or so). I didn't think I missed Timmies so much. But I realize I do. Especially French Vanilla Cappucinos.

Settling in was easy. There was tons of stuff for me to do - and not do. Unlike the others, I did not rush out to the beach first thing. Instead, I enjoyed the air con and slept alot. The few times I did walk about I had to be careful. Taxi drivers like to pester you for a drive (which you don't need necessarily). Shopkeepers try to waylay you into their shops (which you may not want to peruse necessarily).

They had a 7-11-like shop there which had cheap water that was okay to drink. I loaded up on that. Nice chocolate-y popsicles were also there for very cheap.

I think the hardest thing was currency calculation... For 1 USD, you get like 10,000 Rupiah... confusing? For 1 CAD, you get like... 8,800..... and for RMB (Chinese money) it was something lower (obviously) - but still........ so confusing... b/c when you say you got a shirt for "50" you meant really, "50,000".

One of the days I was feeling a little better, I took a walk down the street to look at all the restaurants. I passed by a bunch of girls who called out to me. Normally I ignore "hello" - but this time, because they were so cute, I turned around and smiled and said "hi". They giggled alot - but one was braver and stepped out to ask me to take their photo with them.

Against all odds, I said 'yes'. Well... it's not always good to say 'yes' to these kinds of things. But like I said, the girls were irresistable. Perhaps because they reminded me of Joy and Sihaam and their posses. At any rate, our picture was taken - first on their camera - and then on mine.

It was a good day, altogether.

1 comment:

Kokis-chan said...

Oh my god, youre on Bali!
What a dream! How did you end up there?
Maybe I'll find out if I keep on reading =)
So... I'll do that! It's nice to see new updates from you again! It was a long time ago!

Hugs!