To Chew or Not to Chew
(as I eat Chinese sweets)
(as I eat Chinese sweets)
Why must I always have the need to chew?
I look at the sweet.
I have tasted it before - so I know
How its delicious stickiness sticks to teeth and gum -
But still, I chew it
And it still sticks
And I feel dumb.
Why must I always have the need to chew?
After all, it looks nothing like pink bubble gum
That stretches over your tongue
And balloons outward on invisible air
And SNAPS!
With a crack
Of finality!
Why must I always have the need to chew?
It hurts my teeth so -
Tho' it seems so right!
Chinese sweets, after all, are the ultimate delight.
So I chomp down with glee
And moan -
As the sugar soldiers of sticky sweets
Attack the holes of my cavity.
Why must I always have the need to chew?
After all - it's much easier to suck.
Not only because it prolongs the time I have sweetness in my mouth
But it is easier on the teeth.
My tongue is lazy tho' and gives up at last -
Like a dull student before a test or a depressed dieter before a fast.
It passes the buck to the eager champers.
The vicious cycle turns.
Down my throat, the candy scampers.
Why must I always have the need to chew?
I'm sure this is psychosomatic -
Or something in my mouth (or brain) needs therapy.
But when I complain of this matter -
No one has the interest to listen to me natter.
I need a couch to recline on
And talk about my relationships with dead people -
And whine on.
But there rae little vacancies for people with chewing-candy OCDs.
Why must I always have the need to chew?
I don't know why...
Do you?

No comments:
Post a Comment